Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Africa always brings something new...



The last week I have been in my training village attempting to advance in language by hanging out with my local family and practicing as much as possible. I had my second language proficiency test and it seemed to go adequately. We are expected to reach a level of mid-intermeadiate (whatever that means) by swear-in, which is to take place May 14th.



My weekend was full of good times. Saturday after language class some friends and I visited a local turtle conservation park called " Le Village des Tortues du Senegal." The park is meant to promote education and conservation of African tortoises. It was neat to see an eco-friendly side of Senegal. I spent the rest of the day visiting the families of other volunteers and praticing Pulaar...along with some Uno and creme glace of course.



Sunday some friends and I visited the beach once again. The day was perfect and rejuevenating. We hired a car to take us directly to the beach and then called them to pick us up so transportation could not have been less stressful. Once we arrived we sat our butts right on the beach and filled our hearts desires with reading, swimming, listening to music, eating delicious melon and even practiccing yoga! There was even a random european family who entertained us by driving back and forth on the beach jamming to techno music and doing silly car dances. While waiting for our ride back to the village we enjoyed a ice cold beverae beside Lac Rose (which was not pink this time either and I am beginning to doubt that it ever is except when photoshopped on Wikipedia). The day was necessary given the constant stress that lurks in the background of daily life when learning a new culture and language.



Other than that the last week has been full of language and preparations for the arrival of all of our counterparts for a workshop in Thies starting tomorrow. This workshop is meant to give our the counterparts (I mentioned mine in my previous post) a taste of what we are going through adapting to a new culture and learning a foreign language. We are expected to form an action plan for our first three months after being installed in our permanent village. Around 80 counterparts from all over the county who speak different languages will be staying at the center. I imagine it will be an akward and difficult couple days but luckily this Saturday our whole stage will be rewarded with a day at the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment