Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tambacounda Here I Come!


The time has come. I am in a sept place (station wagon like vehicle that seats seven) on my way to Tambacounda. Mika and I had a hard time picking a vehicle because of the two that arrived to the Peace Corps training center, one was purple and one was playing TLC. I am certain that we made the right decision after opting for the car with good music. We are three hours in and now we are listening to Senegalese static but for a good hour we had poppin jams.

This morning’s goodbyes were more difficult than expected. The 41 of us have been together for only two months but it has been an incredibly bonding experience. Our group is the goofiest bunch of human beings I have ever been a part of. We have random sing-a-longs, crazy dance parties, play sardines like little kids, have random cuddle piles, read Dr. Seuss aloud and talk about our poop more than the average person. It may not be normal but it is refreshing to be a part of a group where you have little qualms about being yourself, whoever that may be. Saying goodbye to the Americans I have grown to love, that will now be scattered all over the country, was not easy but I am confident that all of us will do great things over the next two years and eventually we will develop these close relationships with local people in our communities.



Going back in time, Thursday we had a party for our training host families at the Peace Corps compound in Thies. We each invited a member of our family and spent the day awkwardly trying to entertain them. The best part was the hired Pula Futa dancers and drummers. They were amazingly talented and it was exciting to experience the customs of my newly adopted culture in a different way. I think the Sereers, Wolofs, and Mandinkas had to be a little jealous about how badass the Pular people are. I will try to post a video to give you all a taste.

Friday we traveled to Dakar for our swear-in ceremony at the American Ambassador’s residence. To paint a picture of this road trip, at 7:00 when normal people are hard pressed for words before coffee, we were all dressed in traditional Senegalese garb on a bus singing as a group to eclectic tunes including “Twist and Shout,” “Single Ladies, “ “Ain’t no Mountain High,” “Lean on me,” “Party in the U.S.A.,” etc. Needless to say it’s a fun group to travel with.

The ceremony was nicely done. Speeches were given by our country director, the ambassador, some important people on Peace Corps Senegal staff and a trainee from each language group represented. Besides the actual oath to transition into a Peace Corps Volunteer (because that is my new title!) my favorite part was the air-conditioning. After the ceremony we had delicious hors d'oeuvres and Senegalese juices, before heading to PC Senegal headquarters for paper work and banking (boo). Before leaving Dakar we spent an hour at a pool, (!!!) which was exciting because in a place where it is perpetually summer you long for the joy of a cool chlorinated paradise.


Now I am anxiously looking forward to my installation into my village on the evening of the 18th. Tomorrow I will be running all over Tamba obtaining the items I will need for everyday life in village and then the next day two amazing people from Peace Corps will be introducing me to my community and unloading me there for good. I have to be honest; right now I am more terrified than excited. I know things are going to be difficult and emotional and I anticipate an unimaginable degree of homesickness. I also know that those feelings will lessen (maybe even end) and that I will eventually learn the language, become part of the community, and do what I came here to do; make a difference in the health and lives of the Senegalese people.

PS: This morning I ate a blend of black beans, spaghetti, cheese and eggs for breakfast…I think that deserves an integration point (also I cut the onion and garlic I added with the bean can lid…2 points?)

1 comment:

  1. That totally merits an integration point. Mark my words, you will start to like all the carbs. My favorite dinner in the DR was spaghetti with fried plantains on the side. Usually served with some sweet sweet juice. Carb city.

    I love hearing about what you're experiencing. I am smiling so big thinking that you're starting to understand and be able to speak in another language. And hearing about some of the things (transportation, ice cream trucks being a focal point of your day, being able to buy EVERYTHING all mashed together on one table) reminds me of being in the DR. I think some things must just be similar from one developing country to another. I cannot wait to see you at Christmas and share all of these experiences! And I'll call you much sooner than that. Te quiero mi hermana!

    ReplyDelete