Thursday, November 25, 2010

Behavior Change

Frustrations have been building up lately in terms of BEHAVIOR CHANGE! This is one of the most difficult, if not THE most difficult part of my work here in Senegal. Some days I feel like I talk, talk, talk and it goes in one ear and out the other. My kid has malaria, everyone in our family has the flu, diarrhea is making my baby tired, I've had 5 babies die, I can't afford to go to the health hut, etc. It's both frustrating and heartbreaking to have so much information and advice for all of these situations and have no one actually make the change to better their health and that of their family. I'm trying to keep from being cynical and have positive thoughts that I am 'planting seeds,' but that is more easily said than done.

I've thrown a few teenage temper tantrums with my family recently regarding priorities/behavior change lately. The first was with my brother and sister in law. They have a one year old named Mamadu that had eye infections on his upper and lower lids that just continued to get worse. I kept urging them to take him to the health post but to no avail. Finally, a Spanish NGO was in town and they were giving close to free consultations and free medicine. My sister agreed to come with me and bring her baby after we all ate breakfast. I ate my breakfast and then went to get them. “We are not going anymore. I have to go to the field today. We don't have money.” I was infuriated. My response was a very mature. “FINE! If you don't want your baby to have health, he won't have health. Wait until he is blind if you want!” Followed by an even more mature kicking off of my shoes before entering my room and slamming my door.

We ended up going to the health post and the Spanish nurses said that without treatment Mamadu could easily have become blind. His infections were severe and they urged my sister to some back the next week if the infections were still present. The infections got better, but that was weeks ago and they are still here. Needless to say, they have not gone back for a second treatment.

The second little fit I threw concerned school supplies. About a week before school started I went to talk to all the teachers and ended up with the school supply lists for my three siblings that attend school. I had a gut feeling that no one would actually purchase any of these materials so I began to talk to my dad about how important it was. His response, “God willing, I will buy them. Save the list until market day.” Surprisingly enough, market day came and God didn't will it. After many words were had, I ended up buying the school supplies and telling my dad I was deducting it from what I usually paid him a month (for living and food expenses).

My family is very poor , but I pay them a small amount each month that they could put towards health and education, but instead quickly disappears. I don't think they are squandering this money, but I also know that they would have to get by without my. Anything I pay them should be extra.

Third tantrum...(sorry, you may be getting sick of this, but seriously it is my life.) Hand washing. Something I have gotten my family to sometimes take part in. Everyone eats with their hands and tissues and toilet paper are not existent in the village, which also leaves the hands. This is not a pretty equation. Today I sat down around the bowl I share with my dad, two moms, younger sister and neice and asked where the soap was.

Mom #1: “The soap is gone.” Me: There is a shop right there, why has no one bought any?” Mom #1: “There is no money. I didn't even drink tea today.” Me: “Mom, little bugs (germs) are on your hands and you are eating them. Then they go to your stomach and make you sick,” Mom #1: “I don't see them.” Me: “ It is like God. You don't see him but you believe he exists. The germs are there.” Mom #2 (and what really set me off): “Do people in America use soap?” Me: “Yes” Mom #2: “And they still die?” Me: “Yes, but,” Mom #2: “That's what I thought. Let's eat.”

I excused myself I said I would not be eating. My dad followed me to my room and said that if I didn't eat he would not either. I explained how rude it was of second mom to say that, but ended up eating with my family because I had a meeting directly following that my dad attended and as village chief, with politics I needed him to be supportive of my program.

My role is so tricky. I want to take everyone, especially the kiddos, and fix their problems. When it comes to health and education, my heart wants to give everyone medicine and pay for all the kids to go to school, but in the end that is clearly not my role here. When I leave, that would only leave everyone in the same rut that they wee in before I came to Medina Bloc.

No comments:

Post a Comment