Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tabaski...Like Christmas except without warm fuzzy feelings...mostly just warm.

Tabaski or Eid-al-Adha is celebrated by Muslims worldwide to commemorate the willingness of Abraham to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of obedience to God, before God intervened to provide him with a sheep to sacrifice instead. I don't know how many of my villagers actually know that, I might have had to wikipedia it myself...
In my village this is an excuse to dress fancy, eat well (slaughter a goat), make (more) tea and not go to school. Thanks be to Allah, no fasting is associated with this holiday so it is my preferred Senegalese celebration.



Our breakfast of party noodles and potatoes before prayer as opposed to corn porridge.



The women praying at mosque.




My mom with all of her grandchildren.



My brothers lookin snazzy!



My namesake and her daughters.



My BABIES! Hawa, Ami and Binta...getting bigger everyday!

1 comment:

  1. Is that a MOSQUITO NET I see in the background of Nene's picture? And does Aissatou have another older daughter? Man, those crazy eyebrows... especially on babies! :) I love you, and miss you. Can't believe how beautiful you look in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete