Monday, July 9, 2012

Better Late than Never...

Yes, even in America, I am prone to falling off of the face of the Earth. PS…that’s where I live now…sweet home Indiana. In the past four months, so much has happened, it’s hard for me to sort out my emotions, let alone put them to paper but here’s my attempt to bring a little bit of closure to my peace corps experience and those of you who read my blog.  I’ll separate this baby into a three or four part series as it includes my last few months in village, goodbyes, travels, and coming home/adjustment.

One Last Shi-bang!

In my last month in village I was lucky enough to celebrate Easter with the Boubane’s, my Catholic family. Since becoming close to them at the beginning of my service and quickly becoming a part of their family, I have been looking forward to celebrating a religious holiday with them but never had the opportunity until now. Just like every Senegalese holiday, Easter involved braiding, makeup and new get-ups, greeting and praying, eating, eating, and eating. But Catholic’s celebrate better, which meant let there be daaaancing…

“Dimbude,” or shaking what God gave you, was the holiday theme. Even while cutting meat, we were shaking our butts in our seats and then ended the afternoon with a drum/dance circle and the evening with a outdoor disco.  This day was sisterhood at it finest, and assured me that I truly was part of their family.  Working and celebrating alongside the women I have grown to love made for a special day. 


Demyst:  Meet Anna!

 She is the new volunteer in Wassadou, the town that has been my home away from home while living in Medina dar Salam.  I was lucky enough to introduce her to her new family and village right before I left.  I am sooo excited for what the next 2 years will bring to her and Wassadou.  I know that her village rocks and that with her open, kick-ass personality, and motivated spirit, she will fit in in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment