Friday, March 18, 2011

Hellos and Goodbyes

I am heading back from Dakar after a bad Alhum (mini-bus) dismount resulting in a small ligament tear or just a bad sprain. At first I was uber bummed at the change of plans. I was heading to see a friend of mine in her village and the last thing I had scheduled was an entire day of travel to Daker, but apparently that is what Allah had planned.

Turned out Dakar is amazing this time of year! The weather was BEAUTIFUL. Tambacounda is getting hot, HoT, HOT, so it was lovely to be chilly and remember what not sweating is like.

I stayed in the med hut, which is in the Peace Corps Dakar office. It was clean, comfy, quiet and peaceful with just of few other cool people to keep me company. It was rejuvenating to hear quiet. It's been a long, LONG time and I'd forgotten what it was like to have time by myself.

I took full advantage of my time in Dakar. When I could start hobbling around, I gimped myself right to the nearest cab and went directly to the beach. I even managed to ice down a cold one with the ice packs I brought for my foot. It was really quite rough.

When my foot got a lot better and it turned out that I didn't need x-rays I got to visit Thies and meet the new group of volunteers. They arrived March 9th and are our year in group of health and environmental education volunteers. Yesterday, which was when I visited them, they were leaving for the very first time for their training villages/families with two language classes under their belt.

The nervous energy and plethora of questions reminded me of how completely terrified I was to take that leap into Sangalkam living with a Pulaar family. This group seemed a lot more calm and prepared then we were, but you know what's really running through people's heads. I expected that first night to be one of the worst in my life. It was difficult, don't get me wrong. I've never done anything like it and it was awkward, uncomfortable and frightening. But, as I reassured the new group, its really not as bad as you expect. It gets better, easier.

It was great meeting the new stagiers. It made me feel accomplished to now be the one giving advice. It was also refreshing. A group of new, idealistic faces setting out to do the same work you are doing, for the same reasons, and not yet having any reasons to be anything but idealistic. They seem like a great group of people and I'm excited for what they will bring to Senegal!

Last night I got to have dinner with a few friends I haven't early enough time with lately, Meera, Leah and Nathaniel. We dined seaside at sunset. Clams, oysters, prawns and wine. A perfect night to end my stay in Dakar, with wonderful friends, atmosphere and food.

Here I am in a Peace Corps car (lucky as can be!), riding back to sweet home Tambacounda. Tonight is our last party as Tamba nation, as it stands. Some amazing people that have made Tamba what it is, will soon be heading back to America. Katy, Melissa and Camille will be heading back to the states and Erika will be extending in Dakar. This will change to face of Tamba for sure. So sad to say goodbye to people you have come to love, but we are all excited for what the world has in store for them back home. Tonight we shall celebrate like we mean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment