Friday, March 11, 2011

One year in Senegal!

A year ago yesterday morning, I was getting off a cozy South African Airlines flight (the kind with cushy seats, heavy blankets, complimentary wine, and personal T.V.'s with a myriad of movies, games, T.V. Shows, maps and music of your choosing, etc.) and stepping out into the unknown with a great deal of anxiety and anticipation.



I've now lived in Senegal, West Africa for a year. On one had it is hard to believe and seems like time has flown by, and on the other, I feel every one of the 365 days I've been here.

Even through all the struggles that I have/am encountering I feel immensely lucky to be where I am in life. Every day here has been a learning experience. Other cultures are what you learn about from movies, books, or typical tourist traveling. I have gotten the pleasure...might not be the right word...opportunity to experience another culture by living in it and becoming part of it. I could not have possibly imagined a culture as different from my own than that of a small Pulaar village in the bush of Senegal.

This year has given me patience, perseverance, a much larger and more worldly perspective, love of simplicity, challenged my creativity, solidified my priorities, given me a stronger relationship with God, and so much more.

It has also made me realize how insanely lucky I am. Maybe it is just part of the ethnocentrism that we all possess, because after all I don't believe that American's are ultimately happier than the Senegalese, but goodness gracious I am glad to be an American.

Maybe being a Senegalese woman is easier than I perceive it when you don't know any different, but from my outsiders perspective it hurts to see how little respect and rights they are given and how submissive they are expected to be. Most of the women in my village don't have a problem with it, after all, that's just the way it is. But as a woman who is used to being respected, listened to, having an equal say in things, being able to choose my own path in life, etc., a culture of female submission can be heartbreaking.

Back to me being lucky. I am so grateful that I have been instilled with priorities that lead to health, education, and friendly, familial and romantic love. You can tell someone education is important all day and night, but in America, we are blessed enough to make it a priority. Being expected to go to University, as opposed to, not being allowed to attend elementary school obviously has a tad bit of a impact on your life and future.

Secondly, after being told day in and day out what women 'should' do or what women 'can't' do, I feel lucky that in a most communities in the states I am not set apart as less because of my gender. The glass ceiling surely still exists to a certain point, but it is definitely not a glass encasement as it is here.

Thirdly, I cannot imagine not being able to choose my own path in life, even though I see it all around me on a daily basis. Someone forcing me into a marriage or giving me away, someone choosing my life's work (i.e. baby maker, cook, laundry washer, sweeper,etc. all rolled into one) and in turn determining every factor of my life.

Also, I am blessed to have the opportunity to travel and have been socialized to have a great curiosity about the world around me. Whether this be in my state, in the U.S. or out of the country it is truly a blessing. I come back from villages 5 miles away, or even less, and the people, especially women ask me what it was like. There are countless other reasons I see myself as unbelievably lucky and even though I've always known it, this has solidified it and given me daily reminders.

Having said all that, I don't want to seem like I am ragging on Senegal. People here are typically happy, Their lifestyles seem to work for them. There are things that I don't particularly agree with that don't seem to pose much of an issue or even seem advantageous in a village setting, such as polygamy. With things that I will never support, like forced marriage, I try my best to remember that every civilization going through its period of development has practices that seem inhumane to the western world now and that even developed countries allow for some pretty messed up things.

And I see that the Senegalese are lucky in a lot of ways that perhaps we are not. They live simply because they have no other choice but I see it as a advantage. In my village, there is no electricity, T.V., internet, or even often phone reception so family time is almost all of the time. We need a little bit more of that I America. Here, you spend your time with people. You are not rushing through the impossible to-do list that you made that morning (okay sometimes you still are but only because you are American and that is a hard habit to break). These are all things that I want to bring back to the U.S.

After a year I can't say that my homesickness is gone, but I can say that the sacrifice so far has been worth it. My life has been enriched in a way it could never have otherwise. I have a second family, amazing new friends, and a whole new way of seeing life. Let's hope that this next year is just as satisfying.

Thank you all for your continued love and support. For your thoughts, letters, packages, and prayers. I can't imagine this journey without the force of positivity and encouragement that exists behind me. Love and miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm even more convinced that you're my soul sister! Can't say anything else apart from "Yes, I agree and I know what you're saying."

    I love you mujer hermosa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there from a senegalese woman who wants to give you a different perspective. Having been born and raised in Dakar, Senegal, I can not fathom the life the women live in those villages. I can not imagine not being talked to without respect, not being equal to men, not going to school, college,.... and so on. I have the same expectations as any other american woman ( per what you describe as your expectations as an american woman), and so do all the Senegalese women I know. I guess, the point I don't agree with is the generalization that you make in your observation. I can understand that that's what you've been exposed to in the rural areas you have visited in Senegal, but I can assure you that those aspirations and expectations are different from women in other areas of Senegal. I think they are less cultural, and more dependent maybe on other socio-economic factors that make those women dependent on men, or accept the life that they are living. However, that is not my life or experience as a Senegalese woman, mine has been very far from that, as well as those of most who don't live in rural areas. It's like me making a generalization about American women based on a Mormon Community in Utah or Amish women in rural PA. Though those are American women, they do not represent all American women or their expectations, aspirations, life, etc....Just wanted to share my 2 cents. Thanks for sharing your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete