Friday, March 11, 2011

A little bit of my life in pictures

A picture from the banana plantation in Laboya that Spence and I visited during our tourney around our district publicizing the eye clinic.



The cotton has all been harvested (luckily mostly when I was in America because it is painful work). These huge fenced in areas are where they stored the cotton before the government came around to buy it all.



The inside of my church.


The cross Sana made that I brought back from America has been blessed and proudly hung.



Making snowmen in Senegal!



The Tambacounda Regional house has taken on a sweet new kitten to hopefully, in time, resolve our mice taking over our house problem (As long as Mika doesn't eat her first...village has made him desperate). Her name is Collin, which has definitely led to some gender identity crisis. But look how cute the little alien is.


My WAIST (West African Invitational Softball Tournament) Team. We were pure awesome. Dressed as Senegalese cops with squirt guns and intimidating moves...madess on the field I tell you. Great weekend with great frieds. (PS: I stayed with the Ambassador of the United States of America during WASIT. Pretty freaking cool.


A Belgian owned liquor tasting garden in Mbour. All the liquors are made from natural fruits and flavors. Beautiful and delicious.


Sunrise in the Baobab trees outside my friend Sarah's village. So peaceful. I'm obsessed with the raw beauty of these trees.


Fun murals at the preschool with the kiddos.


Finished product.


This is the first grade class near my village. One teacher + 84 students= pure chaos everyday.


Senegalese home made wagon. I'll try to start collecting pictures of their other home made toys. They can get pretty creative.


The girls group I've been trying to start finally had our first meeting. Name games, clapping games, friendship bracelets and TWISTER! There was a lot of laughing to be had. Perfect way to start off.


Girls Group. Aren't they beautiful!?!



Handwashing painting I did in the preschool bathrooms. I finally convinced the director to buy soap and we did talks about the importance of hand washing and lots of fun hands-on activities about germs. Now they wash their hands before lunch and sometimes even after going to the bathroom (baby steps).


I even found these hand washing kits in the storage facility of the preschool. (It was built and is funded by a french organization so the school is beautiful and they are blessed with may supplies most schools don't have.) Here are a few of the kiddos showing us that they can properly wash their hands.


Mud stove I helped a neighbor make. A pot sized to the top opeing goes in the top and cuts down on smoke that the women inhale when cooking over open fires, which is their main method of cooking. It also prevents burns because kids are constantly falling into open fires. And it cuts down on wood usage and labor to cut down and bring home lumber.


Cashew fruit apples. Just thought you might find them interesting. They taste weird to be and make my mouth go numb and dry but people here love them.


Gan-Ga-Ran. Tradtional Pulaar Dancers accompanied with really neat drummers. This was in celebration of International Women's Day in the earest town to my village.

No comments:

Post a Comment