Saturday, June 5, 2010

Beynguere An e Senegal (My Senegalese Family)

There are 17 of us living in one compound and I am so lucky to say there is not a person I dislike.

*My older sisters are silly and enjoy making fun of me. They make sure that I get my fill of Senegalese culture by dragging me to any village occasion, teaching me the fine art of village cooking (i.e. pounding corn, grinding peanuts and working over an open fire in a smoke filled hut) and attempting to teach me to dance (while mostly falling over laughing at me). Issatou (the sister I am named after) braided my hair the other day and now I am in with the Pula women!

*My brothers are all amazing. My older brothers like to practice Pular with me and insist that I sit and talk with them instead of studying. They have taught me all about work in preparation for rainy season from slash and burning the fields to re-roofing the huts. My younger brothers run, play games and garden with me. My brothers all think it’s funny that a woman likes to run “for sport haha??” (they say) and do other ‘boy’ activities, but I know they love it and its fun to stomp on gender stereotypes.

* The kiddos. My younger sister Ruby is my shadow when she is not in school. She likes to show me off as her toubab and helps me with language, chores, people’s names, etc. There are three little hoodlums in my compound. Fanta is four and attached at the hip with the neighbor girl Ramatou. They are adorable and get into as much shenanigans as possible. Djenabou is two and still scared of me. Mamadu, the one yea old, is gosh darn adorable and the happiest little stinker ever.

*My parents have been pretty low key in my life so far. My mom has never been unfriendly but hasn’t exactly gone out of her way to befriend me. I think she is more reserved and that relationship will come in time. My second mom has been very helpful showing me around the community, taking me to every single compound and patiently waiting for me to write the names of every man, woman and child in Medina. My dad is funny and gets excited every time I use a new word. He likes to check in with me frequently and insist that I shouldn’t be working when “the sun is hot.”

It’s similar to home in that there is never a dull moment, nor a quiet one.

1 comment:

  1. Stomping on gender stereotypes is hilarious! Remember the big 5 gallon jugs of water that we drank from in the DR? Well, whenever I would carry one up the stairs or even attempt to move it, all of Pancho's family would yell disapprovingly "Pancho, you're an abuser! Take that away from Alyssa! Alyssa, don't support him in his vagabondery!" (Direct translation). What I liked the best was that Pancho would just laugh and support the gender-stereotype stomping :)
    I love hearing about your family in Senegal, and I'm so glad it seems like they are really helping you assimilate into the village. Can't wait to talk with you on skype!

    ReplyDelete