Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Happy hay fuss...and Flag Day

Hay fuss means "nothing." It's a favorite response when you ask a kid what they are doing, have done or are going to do. "Hay fuss." That is also what I did today (two words=GLEE. Marathon.). It was a lovely break before going to Kolda for a language training tomorrow.

I taught my little sister in village to say "that's what she said." If you don't understand you might have been living under a rock for quite sometime now...or maybe Africa. Anyway it's the small things that make you smile.



Rainy season is starting to show it's face. My doors don't shut. I am away from site for a week and in that time my brothers are supposed to be installing new doors. Inshallah. The few storms we have had have been refreshing. After only two rains Medina is active with people planting and greenery (weeds) poking out everywhere. Before 97% of what I looked at was beigeish in color. I am loving the new verdant vibe.

Neem. It's a tree that is native to Senegal. It's leaves can be used to make a lotion for mosquito repellent. I taught a big group of women how to make it using my baby Pular. I plan on doing a lot more of this because with rainy season come the mosquitoes and malaria cases.

Mika and I painted a mural at the health hut in my village. It is a woman and child sleeping under a mosquito net. It's supposed to remind people to hang their nets. Our paint brushes fell apart and we finger painted a large percentage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment