Saturday, June 5, 2010

Random tidbits about my new life...

I live in a petting zoo...seriously in the states you could charge admission to a place with this many animals.

I have yet to decide on my least favorite Senegalese animal: roosters, donkeys, goats, man eating spiders... (I consider these an animal based on their fur content)

A little girl cried because she had to sit next to me on public transport. I would guess she was about seven and terrified to sit next to the white woman.

The religious leader (Imam) of my village insists that I learn Arabic in addition to my Pular and recite the Quran....I told him “Si Allah Jabi” (Meaning “if God wills it” and used anytime an outcome is uncertain.)

Personal space is non-existent in Senegal. People will literally stand with their entire body pressed to yours in public places and think nothing of it.

I am an expert at pulling water from the well.

My family doesn’t understand my dislike for spiders but show them a frog and they run...it’s a good mood booster.

I woke up this morning at 3am shivering. As I went to get another sheet I checked the thermometer. 83 degrees...what is wrong with me?

I sleep with a sham wow because I have to wipe my body of dripping sweat approximately every two minutes without exaggeration.

My doorway is four feet high...I will most likely have scoliosis by the time I return.

I eat peanut butter out of a plastic bag.

Almost every single villager I have come in contact with owns something that has a picture of Barrack Obama on it.

Joonie joonie (right now)...could mean in a half hour...or in 4 hours...Arg.

When traveling to bigger villages, towns, cities we white folks constantly hear, “Toubab okkuan cadeau.” Hey white person give me a present.

Things I know how to say in Pular that you wouldn't learn in your first couple years of English: termite mound, poop kettle, goat intestine, braid pick, machete, how many wives do you have? 'Nuff said...

While one the way to Tamba Spence tried to open the door to our public transport and it literally fell off.

PS: A beetle the size of my big toe just clamped onto my big toe...Holy crap I live in Africa? Now I am going to try to fall asleep with visions of attacking beetles in my head...sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment