Saturday, June 5, 2010

P.A.P.

So my neighbor Mika and I came up with a P.A.P (Positive Action Plan). This is to prevent us from insanity while integrating into a community that doesn’t speak our language, share our customs, practice our religion, eat our food, etc.

One of the tenants in our P.A.P. is hut painting. Week one Mika visited and we painted a beach scene on my wall. I basically live in a tropical paradise now. We have yet to pimp out his hut but rest assured it will be rockin’.



At the core of our P.A.P. is *WASSADOU WEDNESDAY* This is a highly looked forward to weekly event by Spence, Mika and I. We all meet at the weekly market in a nearby village. There we buy veggies and cold drinks and sit around eating bean sandwiches practicing our sweet new language skills with the people. Then we head to a Campemont on the Gambia River where we enjoy a cold beer, watch the hippos, play games and have ‘toubab’ time. PS: Last time as we left we got screamed at by a baboon...needless to say we all three nervously pedaled as fast as we could away.



Our future P.A.P. endeavors are sure to be as entertaining as the latter. I have proposed a backyard grill in bathing suits with buckets full of bleach water and beach balls so we can pretend we are at the pool/beach....Please send me your fun ideas and I shall bring them up at the next Wassadou Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Monkeys and hippos and cold beer and toubab time with mika and spence!!! Oh you lucky lucky duck. It's just me and my piles of sand out here in Louli... : )

    ReplyDelete